HVAC Elements, formerly O’Connor Group, (2016) operates around three independent divisions: O'Connor Company, G & R Controls and Balancing Professionals with locations in Sioux Falls, SD, Rapid City, SD, Fargo, ND and Bismarck, ND. The science of providing successful HVAC systems is made up of several elements, many of which include equipment, temperature controls, and testing and balancing, but the single most important element is the people that make it happen. We feel our employees encompass our dedication and expertise to the industry.
O'Connor Company was founded in 1970. For nearly half a century O'Connor Company has been rising to the challenge and meeting the demand for commercial HVAC equipment. Whether working with building owners, mechanical contractors or consulting engineers we are here to provide continued expertise coupled with quality parts and equipment.
Having foresight and vision to meet the energy needs of the future, G & R Controls began operating in 1977 and has been a leader in building automation and temperature controls. G & R Controls offers customers world class manufacturer options and a commitment to reduce energy costs and improve operating conditions.
In 1993 as the demand for high performance indoor comfort systems increased, Balancing Professionals was founded as an independently owned and operated company. Balancing Professionals offers reliable third-party NEBB-Certified air testing and balancing and keeping HVAC equipment operating as engineers intended.
HVAC Elements History
- 1970 — O’Connor Company was founded in Sioux Falls by Irish O’Connor
- 1977 — Grider Sales, Inc. is founded by Dan Grider (part of Powers Regulator Company)
- 1978 — O’Connor Company Rapid City Branch Opens
- 1982 — Name change to Grider Robinson and Associates when Bud Robinson became a partner
- 1983 — Irish & Mary O’Connor retire
- 1985 — Mike Mechtenberg buys the company and changes legal name to Mike Mechtenberg Inc. – DBA Grider Robinson and Associates
- 1992 — Balancing Professionals, Inc. was founded in Rapid City (as part of O’Connor Company)
- 1994 — Grider Robinson and Associates merges with O’Connor Company & Balancing Professionals to form O’Connor Group
- 1994 — Grider Robinson and Associates expands to Rapid City location
- 1998 — G & R Hydronics division started
- 1999 — Dropped the names Grider Robinson and Associates and G & R Hydronics and began doing business as G & R Controls referring to the entire company.
- 1999 — Built E 54th Street Building (Currently Convergint Technologies) – first owned real estate
- 1998 — Rapid City office builds current facility
- 1999 — Fargo Branch opens as LLC
- 2001 — Fargo merged with O’Connor Company
- 2005 — O’Connor Group builds current headquarters in Sioux Falls (4909 N Lewis Ave)
- 2008 — Changed the legal name of the company to G & R Controls, Inc.
- 2010 — Fargo office builds current facility (Energy Star Certified)
- 2010 — Bob O’Connor Retired (Dec 31)
- 2011 — Mike O’Connor became President after Bob O’Connor Retired
- 2013 — Bismarck Branch Opens
- 2016 — O’Connor Group changes parent company name to HVAC Elements